2 November 2010

De Niro, Scorsese, Schapiro.



You may have seen this already, but I think it's cool enough to mention anyway, whilst I'd now say Mean Streets is the cooler one of two of Scorsese's finer earlier works - if they are even able to be compared? Taxi Driver was probably one of my most favourite ever films in my younger years. Photographer Steve Schapiro was the on-set snapper of some of the best films of a great era for cinema, here sees a release of his work from 1972's cult film in a deluxe photographic book Taschen

4 comments:

  1. I thought mean streets was boring as hell. And self indulgent. Maybe it's just looking back at the past but it seems like the cliche of cliches - cool scrappy punks in brooklyn and shit, talking all fast and with their "colorful" accents, getting involved in petty crimes blah blah blah.
    Taxi Driver on the other hand is a masterpiece. It so incredibly describes the world just after the Vietnam war (and NYC in the 70s) and it never even mentions the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'who you calling a mook?'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get where you're coming from Adam, but to me Mean Streets' inspiration is evident everywhere, they all took from that film, then again you could easily say similar for Taxi Driver, as I said originally, a bit daft to even compare them.

    ReplyDelete